When you’ve been assigned a task to analyze two topics in terms of directly comparing and contrasting their individual components, you may not know where to start. If you’re new to essay writing you need a compare and contrast essay Australia guide. Luckily, that’s just what this is.
What Is a Compare and Contrast Essay?
The purpose of a compare and contrast essay is to demonstrate how two or more topics are similar and how they differ. If you were to visualize this process, it would look much like a Venn diagram with components exclusive to one or the other topic and then parts that concern both. This is the basic definition that you need to understand if you want to know how to write a comparison paper. The rest of your hard work will largely have to do with general essay writing skills. That said, there are some specific points which apply to formulating a comparison vs contrast argument.
Comparison vs Contrast as Part of an Argument
Understanding the key differences between comparing and contrasting two topics is vital if you are to succeed in writing such an essay. You need to know which one is which and how to separate them as you write. As you’ll see from any sample of comparison essay writing, it is all about explaining how two items are similar to one another. If you take the Venn diagram analogy, you’ll find that comparison is the bit in the middle that overlaps and is common to both circles. You can then focus on which similarities are the most important to write about. This is most easily determined by examining the assigned essay question and working out what your tutor wants you to learn.
Choices essay Australia writing secrets you can find right here!
Contrasting two objects or events refers to an explanation of how they are different. Whereas comparison refers to the overlapping segment of the Venn diagram, contrast means the segments that belong to one subject but not another. In other words, contrasting features will be found in the parts that do not overlap in the diagram.
A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing
You only have to glance at a small sample of comparison essay writing to see how to write a comparison paper. A good essay is well structured and it’s immediately clear how the writer intends to treat the subject matter. Learning how to create structure and balance in your essays is what will separate you from your peers. Indeed, the contrast between you will be obvious to all.
- Before you start creative writing Sydney even a single word, you need to plan your argument. You have to work out what you want to write about and how you want to do it. If you create an essay outline, you’ll find that you’ve done most of the heavy lifting before you’ve even written a single word of the essay proper.
- You have to compose a thesis statement in order to focus your argument and make your intentions abundantly clear to your readers. This statement should be specific and detailed. Vagueness is your downfall at this point.
- There are various ways in which you can set out your main body of text. One of the most common and easy-to-follow approaches involves sticking to one subject at a time. While this allows you stay on topic at all times, it also runs the risk of becoming a just another list of bullet points.
- Another option is to cover each point of comparison or contract separately. You can use a third object to help you cover the main two topics in greater detail.
- As you’re coming to the end of your main body of text, you need to start wrapping up your argument. Bring an increasing number of previous statements into the fold as you close with more and more profound points. These ideas help your reader to form their final impression of your essay.
- When you write a conclusion, don’t add new ideas that you haven’t previously discussed. This will throw your entire essay off balance and result in your reader misunderstanding your point.
Learn from these valuable pieces of advice and ace any compare and contrast essay Australia throws at you. Use samples and templates if you need to get to grips with what it means to compare and contrast topics with ease and skill. When you follow this step-by-step guide and advisory points, you’ll find essay writing simple and enjoyable.